We talk a lot about the online visibility of press releases, but we’ve never lost sight of the fact that the #1 reason why most organizations use PR Newswire is to reach professional journalists with their message. Media pick up is still vitally important. We know that, and we make a point of catering to the tens of thousands of reporters, editors, bloggers and producers for whom PR Newswire is a trusted source.
We’ve made some big changes to how many of the journalists subscribing to PR Newswire see the news you issue, and thought you’d be interested in seeing how we present your news to them via PR Newswire for Journalists (“PRNJ”,) our private, media-only web site.
First, let’s talk about why we have a media-only site – something no other newswire service offers – rather than relying upon our external web site to serve journalists. First and foremost, many organizations still distribute news releases that truly are for media eyes only, such as invitations to press conferences and other media events, media and analyst calls and embargoed releases. Additionally, many of our clients prefer not to make media contact information public, which is we mask the names and phone numbers of PR contacts at the bottom of a large portion of our press releases on our public site. However, media contact information is vitally important, and it’s on every release on PRNJ.
Because of the sensitivity of this information, we credential each and every journalist and blogger registering for PRNJ. Furthermore, we have a team of media relations professionals on staff who assist new PRNJ registrants as needed with things like setting up news feeds and using ProfNet.
This level of service and detail is expensive – there’s no doubt we could save a lot of money if we didn’t have tools and teams in place to build and serve the community of journalists and bloggers that access PR Newswire news. But we think you’ll agree that this is pretty important audience, and it’s not one we choose to ignore.
A few weeks ago, we launched a gorgeous, sleek new version of PRNJ, featuring fast and simple navigation, advantageous display of news releases and the compilation of a host of tools and other goodies for PRNJ members, including:
- A responsive site optimized for all devices, from desktops to smartphones, and everything in between.
- Saved news searches: the ability to turn a simple headline search into custom news feed that dynamically updates simply by saving the search.
- Headline links to other news releases from the same issuer: When viewing one of your press releases, PRNJ users also have at-a-glance access to other news issued by your company or organization.
- Fast access to Profnet experts. ProfNet is now embedded within PRNJ, enabling journalists to search the expert dB or issue a query seeking expert commentary from within PRNJ.
- A new community page featuring a new media-focused blog, Beyond Bylines, a digest of media industry news and moves and a jobs bank.
We know PRNJ works – the numbers don’t lie. Almost 30,000 registered users access the site each month, and together, they average more than a million press release views each month. (Pro tip: check your Visibility Reports for a summary of PRNJ activity each of your press releases receives when you order media distribution for your news.)
Want more ideas on how to make your news and pitches stand out? View our FREE on-demand webinar about how newsrooms have been impacted by the changing digital media environment featuring a panel from the Poynter Institute, the Washington Post and new mobile news site Circa. Register.
Video courtesy of our friends at MultiVu.